Pages

Monday, May 2, 2011

Healthy pumpkin pasta sauce

You'll know of my love affair with red kidney beans if you scroll through the recipes in the In the kitchen category :)

I wanted to make a quick pasta sauce to use up with some red kidney beans I had in the freezer.

I intended to make a cheesy white sauce with a couple tablespoons All Joy hot & spicy pasta sauce (they're about R12,99 each at Pick & Pay - they all taste great) to give it a bit of zing.

My white pasta sauces always have onion and mushrooms to start because I'm always looking for ways to add some extra veggies.

Then I had a bright idea to add some pumpkin (I love pumpkin with that hot pasta sauce - that combo just works) to the sauce. Judging from this picture, I think I added a tablespoon already because it's quite yellow.


Okay, and here's the rest of the mashed pumpkin added. I probably added about 150 - 200g - sorry I can't be more precise; that's how I cook! Nice and bright orange! You can also see the kidney beans are in. I only had 100g.


And then I added the cooked spaghetti and heated it through. It was so delicious. You don't even know there's so much vegetables in there.

So that's how I make (what could be) fattening pasta, healthy!

If you want, you could grate some cheese and zap in the microwave for about 30 seconds until it melts. For me, that defeats the whole purpose of cooking healthy but sometimes I'm a nice wife and I'll do it like that for Dion :)


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment