Pages

Monday, April 11, 2011

I finally made Southern biscuits

Ages and ages ago I wrote something on someone's blog about their "biscuits" looking like our rusks and apparently I was very wrong. They are nothing like rusks.

My American blog friends were horrified that I didn't know what Southern biscuits were (rather in the same way that I'm horrified that they don't know what rusks are) and Jennifer Deaton very kindly sent me a recipe to try.

I scrawled it on a piece of paper and it's been attached to the side of my kitchen cupboard for a good 18 months - 2 years.

Do you know why?

Because I don't buy buttermilk.

And they only sell buttermilk in 500ml.

I really do hate wasting so I looked for another recipe to use up the other 250ml (seeing as I was "cooking American" I tried cornbread - that was a huge flop so I threw the whole thing away)

Anyway, finally, in December, I got around to making what I called...

"Jennifer Deaton's Southern biscuits"
  • 2 cups self-raising flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 3/4 cup cheese
  • 1 cup buttermilk

Bake at 350 degrees for 12 - 15 minutes.

Since it had been so long since I wrote down the recipe, I couldn't make out the order of mixing the ingredients since my piece of paper says

f, bp + s, then b, then c, b/m last (yes, I'm very thorough :)

So I googled Southern biscuits and found the same recipe that I could follow.

The recipe said that you could use muffin cups to bake them in so I instantly got very happy. Muffin cups are one of my favourite things in the world for making my life easier!

They came out very well and even Dion enjoyed them.


isn't this red plate gorgeous? My Christmas gift from work - we each draw names and buy one present

Result?

They're actually almost exactly like scones!

So next time I won't faff around with all this biscuit stuff, I'll just make scones.

If there are any Americans reading, is the gravy you put over biscuits like "normal" gravy you have with a roast beef, potatoes and veggies?

The reason I ask is because we eat scones with strawberry jam and cream (I don't eat cream, so I just have the jam), or cheese, and I shudder to think of pouring gravy over them :)

However, I'd love to learn!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment