Pages

Friday, April 15, 2011

Oatmeal Yoghurt Muffins

Recently I was blog-surfing and I landed up in Melbourne, Australia. Bindi Nestor posted this muffin recipe and people all over the world started baking. Isn't blogging fun?

1. mix 1 cup unsweetened plain or vanilla yogurt and 1 cup rolled oats together
and leave to soak in the fridge for half an hour.

2. after half an hour stir the following things in, making sure you fold the flour in last to avoid over beating: 1 egg, 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I use extra virgin olive oil, but it
works ok with canola oil or whatever you prefer), 1/2 cup sugar, your own
favorite combinations of fruit, nuts, chocolate, spices, 1 1/4 cup self raising
flour (or plain flour plus one teaspoon baking powder).


3. the mixture makes 12 large muffins (1 tray) or 24 little muffins (2 trays - these are very cute).
Grease your tray and spoon the mixture in. Cook for about 15 minutes in a fairly
hot oven, 220 Celsius. You might need 20 minutes for the large muffins, but its
worth checking them at the 15 minute mark and giving them the extra time until
they are golden brown on top, and no longer squishy - they should spring back to
the touch.


I'm lazy so I use muffin cups - much easier to clean afterwards.




As you read, you can add whichever fruit you like to the basic mix. I love cinnamon and apple is also one of my favourite things (certainly my favourite fruit) so I decided on cinnamon and apple muffins.

I peeled a Granny Smith apple and grated the entire thing (medium-sized apple) into the mix. And then I added about a tablespoon of cinnamon (told you I love it).


Now, this first batch came out a bit hard and Bindi was kind enough to comment on the blog to brainstorm solutions.

I made them again this afternoon - here in the Southern Hemisphere it is cold = baking weather for me. And this time they are perfect!

So I think what I did wrong is I left the oats/ yoghurt mix too long the first time. This time I was very disciplined (very unlike me in the kitchen), set my timer so I wouldn't forget and mixed the rest in after exactly 30 minutes.

Also, my muffins need only 12 minutes in the oven, not 15. That could be why they were a bit harder the last time too.



By the way, Bindi - I think you should do a Mr Linky and get everyone who made your recipe to link their posts onto yours so we can see where in the world this has been made. Won't that be fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment