Pages

Friday, April 8, 2011

Wholewheat Spinach & Vegetable Pizza

This recipe has been on my Recipes to Try list for a couple of months so I decided to buy a big bag of spinach (I actually prefer swiss chard) and tackle a couple of recipes, all containing spinach :)

As I was making this, some of the quantities seemed way too much, so I changed them and these are the quantities I used.

Ingredients

  • 1 cup cake flour
  • 1 cup whole-wheat flour
  • 100 g spinach, finely chopped
  • 3 ml sugar
  • 5 g instant dry yeast
  • 2 tablespoons sunflower oil

Topping

  • 125 ml sweet chilli sauce (oooh, I think this makes the pizza special)
  • 2 weigh-less viennas, chopped (the recipe calls for 250 g bacon but I didn't feel like buying bacon)
  • 140g pumpkin, cooked (I sliced the pumpkin and microwaved it with about a tablespoon of water for 1 minute)
  • 1/2 onion, chopped (100g)
  • 60g mushrooms
  • cheese
The recipe called for a whole onion and 400g butternut - that's a LOT of veg, even for me - so I reduced quantities.

Method

  1. Mix the flour, salt, chopped spinach. Add the sugar, instant yeast and mix.
  2. Add the sunflour oil and 1 cup luke-warm water to form a soft dough.
  3. Knead for 10 minutes (I didn't bother, I just mixed and it still came out beautifully).
  4. Cover and leave to rise in a warm place for 45 minutes, or until double in size.
  5. Roll the dough into a large disc about 1 cm thick.
  6. I used Glad baking paper (how did I ever survive without this?!!!) to roll the dough out on and then lifted the whole thing and placed on my pizza tray. You don't even need Spray and Cook - imagine that?!
  7. Spread the sweet chilli sauce liberally with a basting brush.
  8. Add the onion, mushrooms, pumpkin and viennas or bacon, and top with cheese (and I added a sprinkling of Italian herbs (my new favourite spice)
  9. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees (350) for 15 to 20 minutes.
  10. Enjoy - this is absolutely delicious and is going to be a keeper around here!







Do you also change recipes around and do your "own thing"? Or do you like to follow the recipe exactly? What do you think it says about you?

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment